Sunday, September 27, 2009

Birds of Prey

The kids love the bird show. My sister would be so proud. She's a bird of prey gal -- having done some pretty note worthy research on the California Condor with the San Diego Zoo and such. In fact, she may know these two birds personally. While living with us between undergrad and graduate school, she volunteered with the Oregon Zoo's bird of prey program. 
We unintentionally sat directly in line with the birds' flight path so there were many times when the huge, majestic (a little scary) birds flew within inches of our heads. Hubby says that the turkey vulture clipped him . . . I was attempting to focus on the birds through my view finder as they swooped in. It can be a startling perspective! None of those close up shots really came out. I'd love to figure out how to do that better. UGH. Running into that photography skill barrier . . . but moving along. The bald eagle is my favorite. I swell with pride and choke up a bit. I suppose the bird has truly become, for me, a symbol of what I want to believe is good and true about my country. 

Speaking of symbols, just finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. Very interesting. Anyone else reading or read it? I'd love to discuss with others . . . I'm especially interested in Noetic Science and the implications for faith and religion. I'm going to need to gather my thoughts a bit before going down that rabbit hole here. Last evening I began a little "research" online, and found a couple of websites that may be a good starting place. I was also pleased to discover that one of the many unfinished books by my bedside may be a good introduction: The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Hello there!

I just came by to say hi and thank you for commenting on my post way back in July (please forgive me...I've been away and I am still trying to play catch-up).

I think I will stay a bit and look around...

So nice to meet you :)

Jaime said...

Oh, by the way....I was noticing the books you have listed on the right side of your blog. I have been curious about The Unbearable Lightness of Being for some time now...is it good?
Have you finished The Thirteenth Tale? One of my all time favourites!

Heather said...

Yes, I would recommend The Unbearable Lightness of Being. It's been awhile since I've read it as it has since I read The Thirteenth Tale. I seem to recall that I liked that one as well:) Glad to have you visit!