Friday, January 1, 2010

Favorite Images of '09

It has been a year . . . since my hubby bought me my camera, since I participated in a beginning digital photography class at the local community college, since I began exploring my creative potential. Only a year! This seems like an opportune time to reflect on where I began, what I've learned and what I hope to accomplish in this coming year.
Apparently, my organization system has improved over the course of the year! In the early months, there is no clear way to identify which photographs have been processed or even which were considered keepers. After various attempts of getting things straightened up, my current system, though not perfect, is much easier for me to use! One of my goals is to do a better job of both organization and backing up my files . . .
Initially, I shied away from people pics. They were harder to predict and it took me so much time and brain power to figure out how to use the manual functions - by the time I got it together, my subject (aka fickle child) had moved on. Now my challenge is to take portraits indoors with natural lighting . . . and still be focus! Lots of time to work on that with the winter months.
Initially, my only concern was getting a good picture but my definition was fairly broad. At first, it was to be in focus with the correct exposure. Then I began to be deliberate in my use of aperture and shutter speed to create the photo in my mind's eye. Still have a long ways to go! Goals I've set for myself include working my way through Peterson's Understanding Shutter Speed and task myself with assignments to practice. Perhaps I should make that a blog project . . . . I'd also like to participate in photography club in town and take a class. I think that's more than enough to keep me busy in 2010!

ps: inspired by Shutter Sisters and Gabrielle Kai

4 comments:

A. Jarrett said...

Congrats on capturing such beautiful images this year! So beautiful!

georgia b. said...

every single one... beautiful and bright and full of wonder. you are a natural for sure, heather.

so glad we found each other's acquaintance in 2009. looking forward to many more years of being blog friends and photography peers. i've learned from you already, and i'm sure that will only continue. keep them coming! you have a gift!

Anonymous said...

happy new year!
organisation of my photos is something i've got to get a hang of as well.

Heather said...

Georgia -- Thank you:) It has been a blessing to come across your blog! Very much looking forward to finding inspiration and support in your own creative journey!