Monday, March 16, 2009

I am Woman, Hear Me Roar

In brief, I completed an 8k race yesterday -- the Shamrock Run -- in the rain and wind and LOVED it. Roar! My official time was 46.16 which is roughly 9.16 minutes per mile on a rather hilly (and did I mention wet and cold?) course. I'm really very ok with that! It's been 2 years since my last race, a triathlon, and it's about time. I need these little road markers to remind me that I can be a force to be reckoned with -- feels pretty darn good to pass up more runners than pass me. Who needs water? I don't need no stink'n water. Pshaw. I scorn you runners who drink from tiny paper cups and toss them on the ground. I trample your cups on the ground (please, somebody get those?). 

Silliness aside, felt great and reminded me that I have long outrun the story of little timid Heather that got her kid sister to do the "scary" stuff first. Athletics happens to be the most concrete example of how I've set goals for myself and then just got going. 

Which inevitably leads to more goal setting:
1. Major fitness goal is to complete the Hood to Coast relay with coworker and team. 
2. Find some means to regularly post work out/training schedule -- might need to tap hubby's techie skills
3. Make stretching and strength training a "more" regular part of regimen. Is that redundant? 
4. Find more mid-length races along the way as motivators. They are way fun and have great shirts:)
5. I'm so weak . . . look hot in swimsuit for 10yr wedding anniversary in Hawaii this July. 

1 comment:

robin laws said...

hurrah for a hot bathing suit wearing Heather!!

placing that line first and foremost above s not intended to trivialize all those other important goals :)