Friday, January 9, 2009

Happy, Happy Camera Day

My first photography class was this Wednesday at the local community college. I was terribly intimidated by the first rate digital cameras and the aspirations (mostly professional) of the other students. We introduced ourselves and our camera. My poor baby camera . . . I felt like I needed to apologize for its simple point and shoot functions. And whereas the other students wanted to "improve" their photography skills and ultimately use them professionally, I just want to take beautiful pictures of my family, develop a more creative/design -orientated eye and use my photos in various media projects (blog, albums, print, etc.). It's about enrichment and personal satisfaction for me. Rebutting the story I have of myself as an inept artistic soul. 

The teacher is an older man who has been a professional photographer for decades. He is kind and understanding and optimistic that we can learn what he has to offer. I was excited about all that I could learn and disappointed when I realized my camera could not keep up with the assignments and projects. It has no manual functions whatsoever so I can not adjust shutter speed, aperture, etc. all of which were crucial to the very FIRST assignment. When I came home, I'm embarrassed to say, I sat at the table and when asked how class went, cried. My poor baffled husband. It seemed that my options were to drop the class, take the class and muddle through as best as I and my camera could or . . . and I was afraid to admit this was the solution I wanted - badly! Get a new camera. 

My hubby's response was immediate and unwavering -- get the camera. I love him! It is hard for me to ask for things I want for myself, especially if they are not "functional" and necessary. On his way home from work last night, he picked up a Nikon D60 at Costco and it was waiting on the kitchen table when I got home. I have been pouring through the manual and fiddling and can't wait to begin working  on this week's assignment.  Pics to come soon:) 

1 comment:

robin laws said...

i admit i got teary when i read "I sat at the table and when asked how class went, cried." and again at: "...It is hard for me to ask for things I want for myself....he picked up a Nikon D60 at Costco and it was waiting on the kitchen table when I got home."

thank you John for being the best friend, soul mate, unwavering fan to your wife. you are and a good and loving person. I know this is true from you know who :)